Saturday, January 25, 2014

When It's Time to Change

Not sure about the rest of you, but whenever I hear/think/say that line my brain automatically goes to the Brady Bunch episode when Peter's voice changes.  Totally out of his control, he lives through the wackiness and his groovy siblings help him to make the best of it.  If it were only that easy - change, not puberty.

I have an issue with spontaneity - if I think it I want it NOW.  Patience is not a virtue that I claim to possess and yet I am a mother, wife, and elementary school teacher - that should be the ONE virtue that I DO have. Not so folks, not so.  Between humor and a happy pill, I can conjure up enough of it to get through the day without seriously hurting someone's feelings.  Not proud but isn't the first step is admitting you have the problem?

So, back to the topic at hand, change.  I'm ready for it, nothing too drastic, but I'm ready and I will blame religion for this sudden desire to jazz it up, it being our life.  Yep, the family is in for this one too - they are the only thing I wouldn't change.  Here is where we are so far...I'm wondering if you'll be as impressed as I am that all of these have occurred within the last month AND they were not even labeled as so-called resolutions...

Change 1: Began attending, regularly, a non-denominational church up the road from our house: laid back, relevant weekly message/lesson, with an awesome contemporary Worship Team (i.e. live band, complete with guitars, drums and vocalists) - waaaaay different than our Catholic church.  Not better, just different and at this point in our lives, fulfilling.

Change 2: Eating at home.  Now for some of you this may be a simple task but for the L family, not so much.  When K or C ask 'what's for dinner?' what they are really asking is 'where are we going?"  Well, for the past week we have eaten every meal at home - not even a Bojangles biscuit for a quick Saturday morning breakfast.  If you do know us/me you will acknowledge that this is the equivalent of running a marathon - as most know I will only run if chased.  But we have survived quite well and we have noticed a few thing, some obvious, so some not so much: we've spent less money; we're less hungry; we've had less of a desire to get out of the house (the frigid temps may have something to do with that, but that's beside the point!); and last but not least, we've learned to look forward to meal time rather than dread it.  Overall, a higher quality of life.

Change 3:  I'm writing and sharing it publically - I've wanted to write, anything, for the past 10 years, but didn't know where to start.  This past week we had three snow days - what to do, what to do?  Why start a FB page called Superior Nonsense, of course!  My fantasy job would be to run a book store/coffee shop/trinket shop called Superior Nonsense but I'm not ready for that type of financial recklessness, so this is the start. Started the page on the 23rd and birthed my blog today. Note: Superior is not a reference to me but rather to the might Lake Superior, the beautiful, unpredictable waters that I grew up near in Upper Michigan.  Nonsense, well that is simply what rattles around in my head all day and I am now feeling confident enough to share it with whomever wants to muddle through it.

Right now, I will not make any promises that these changes will stick - although I am pretty awesome, I am human and I am not known for my willpower.  Heck, I don't know if anybody will read this and right now that is the least of my worries - because I am celebrating, hell I'm embracing change.  Peace out peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment